The University Interscholastic League was created by The University of Texas to provide leadership and guidance to public schools. Competing provides students with educational experiences through competition and promotes good sportsmanship. We have been fortunate to participate in UIL over the past several years and look forward to attending this year’s competition on April 13, 2019 at Coppell Middle School North.
Students may be on as many teams as they like, so long as those competitions do not conflict with one another on competition day. For example, Art and Number Sense competitions are held at the same time, so a student would not be able to be on both teams. Also, a student may only participate in two speaking events. A Conflict Pattern is listed with the contest descriptions below in order to help your student determine the events they wish to enter. Please do not allow your child to try out for any team if you already know there is a schedule conflict with the days of the competition.
Tryouts for the competitions will occur beginning in mid-January and will go through February. A calendar of tryout days, times, and locations are located below. If your child cannot make the tryout times for a contest area, please contact the coach to arrange an alternate tryout time.
- Art – Grades 5 & 6, coached by Brennan Fruge
- Calculator Applications – Grade 6 only, coached by Grant Kuneman
- Chess – Grades 5 & 6, coached by Eva Logan
- Dictionary Skills – Grades 5 & 6, Dallena Nash
- Editorial Writing – Grade 6 only, coached by Nina Hopkins
- Impromptu Speaking – Grade 6 only, coached by Erin McClintick
- Listening – Grades 5 & 6, coached by Stephanie Sullivan
- Maps, Graphs & Charts – Grades 5 & 6, coached by Shelia McTee
- Mathematics – Grade 6 only, coached by Traci Reagan
- Modern Oratory – Grade 6 only, coached by Naomi Emory
- Music Memory – Grades 5 & 6, coached by Ray Winkler & Brooke Grall
- Number Sense – Grades 5 & 6, coached by Jennifer Connelly & Courtney Claborn
- Oral Reading – Grades 5 & 6, coached by Naomi Emory
- Ready Writing – Grades 5 & 6, coached by Cyndi Anderson
- Social Studies – Grades 5 & 6, coached by Ryan Rohlmeier
- Spelling – Grades 5 & 6, coached by Aimee Steel & Tammy Cooper
If there are any questions, please feel free to e-mail the UIL Coordinator Traci Reagan