The University Interscholastic League was created by The University of Texas to provide leadership and guidance to public schools. Competing provides students with educational experiences through competition and promotes good sportsmanship. We have been fortunate to participate in UIL over the past several years and look forward to attending this year’s competition on April 3-4, 2020, at Heritage Middle School. The address is 5300 Heritage Ave., Colleyville, TX 76034.
Students may be on as many teams as they like, so long as those competitions do not conflict with one another on competition day. For example, Art and Number Sense competitions are held at the same time, so a student would not be able to be on both teams. Also, a student may only participate in two speaking events. A conflict pattern is listed with the contest descriptions on our school website in order to help your student determine the events they wish to enter. Please do not allow your child to try out for any team if you already know there is a schedule conflict with the days of the competition.
Tryouts for the competitions will be held in January. UIL information can be located on our school website under the “Parent” section. Please consult the UIL Calendar, Conflict Pattern, and Contest Descriptions for information regarding tryouts and contests. The website and calendar will be updated throughout the UIL season. If your child cannot make the tryout times for a contest area, please contact the coach to arrange an alternate tryout time.
- Art – Grades 5 & 6
- Calculator Applications – Grade 6 only
- Chess – Grades 5 & 6
- Dictionary Skills – Grades 5 & 6
- Editorial Writing – Grade 6 only (Contestants will write their papers at SCIS; Date TBD)
- Impromptu Speaking – Grade 6 only (Preliminary round is Friday, April 3rd; Finals are Saturday, April 4th)
- Listening – Grades 5 & 6
- Maps, Graphs & Charts – Grades 5 & 6
- Mathematics – Grade 6 only
- Modern Oratory – Grade 6 only (Preliminary round is Friday, April 3rd; Finals are Saturday, April 4th)
- Music Memory – Grades 5 & 6
- Number Sense – Grades 5 & 6
- Oral Reading – Grades 5 & 6 (Preliminary round is Friday, April 3rd; Finals are Saturday, April 4th)
- Ready Writing – Grades 5 & 6 (Contestants will write their papers at SCIS; Date TBD)
- Social Studies – Grades 5 & 6
- Spelling – Grades 5 & 6
Sloan Creek UIL Coordinator
If there are any questions, please feel free to e-mail the UIL Coordinator Traci Reagan