The University Interscholastic League was created by The University of Texas to provide leadership and guidance to public schools. Competing provides students with educational experiences through competition and promotes good sportsmanship. We have been fortunate to participate in UIL over the past several years and look forward to attending this year’s competition on February 23-24,2017 at Coppell Middle School North.
Students may be on as many teams as they like, so long as those competitions do not conflict with one another on competition day. For example, Art and Number Sense competitions are held at the same time, so a student would not be able to be on both teams. Also, a student may only participate in two speaking events. A Conflict Pattern is listed with the contest descriptions below in order to help your student determine the events they wish to enter. Please do not allow your child to try out for any team if you already know there is a schedule conflict with the days of the competition.
Tryouts for the competitions will occur beginning in late November and will go through December. A calendar of tryout days, times, and locations are located below. If your child cannot make the tryout times for a contest area, please contact the coach to arrange an alternate tryout time.
- Art – Grades 5 & 6, coached by Hannah Updyke
- Calculator Applications – Grade 6 only, coached by Grant Kuneman
- Chess – Grades 5 & 6, coached by Eva Logan
- Dictionary Skills – Grades 5 & 6, Dallena Nash
- Editorial Writing – Grade 6 only (Contestants will write their papers at SCIS; Date TBD), coached by Nina Hopkins
- Impromptu Speaking – Grade 6 only (Preliminary round is February 23; Finals are February 24), coached by Erin McClintick
- Listening – Grades 5 & 6, coached by Claudia Love
- Maps, Graphs & Charts – Grades 5 & 6, coached by Shelia McTee
- Mathematics – Grade 6 only, coached by Traci Reagan
- Modern Oratory – Grade 6 only (Preliminary round is February 23; Finals are February 24), coached by Naomi Emory
- Music Memory – Grades 5 & 6, coached by Ray Winkler & Brooke Grall
- Number Sense – Grades 5 & 6, coached by Stephanie Sullivan & Sandra Dennis
- Oral Reading – Grades 5 & 6 (Preliminary round is February 23; Finals are February 24), coached by Vicki Turner
- Ready Writing – Grades 5 & 6 (Contestants will write their papers at SCIS; Date TBD), coached by Cyndi Anderson
- Social Studies – Grades 5 & 6, coached by Ryan Rohlmeier
- Spelling – Grades 5 & 6, coached by Sunny Bradshaw
If there are any questions, please feel free to e-mail the UIL Coordinator Traci Reagan